Top 20 Ideas from the last year


I want to be as though new-born, knowing nothing, absolutely nothing... Then I want to do something modest; to work out by myself a tiny, formal motive, one that my pencil will be able to hold without technique.  
(Paul Klee)

Paintings and Musings is one year old this month! Happy Anniversary




  I started this blog as a way to gel what I was thinking about in my own art practice, and to share some ideas and experiences with you. I thought it might be a good way to make new connections, and to create a discipline of writing more. It has done all that and more. Thank you.

  As a anniversary gift from me to you, here are twenty random favorites from the last year. Be well in the upcoming year and have the creative life of your dreams!

1. Favorite manufacturers of oil paints:
Gamblin and Utrecht

2. Favorite Plein Air Easel:
EasyL

3. Favorite Brushes:
Windsor and Newton Monarch

4. Favorite Surfaces to paint on:
Shellacked Birch, or  Linen

5. Best Frame Source:
Metropolitan Picture Frames - I get my maple floater frames here. Always high quality.

6. Favorite Local Museum:
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

7. Favorite Art City:
New York City -  Paris is a contender, but too hard to get to!

8. Best spots to paint on the Maine Coast:
  1. Blue Hill Peninsula, especially Stonington -
  2. Saco, Biddeford, and Kennebunkport area

9. Best spot to paint in inland Maine:
Baxter State Park

10. Best hiking in Maine:
Baxter State Park

11. Best teacher to learn oil painting from:
Janet Manyan. Look for a new class this fall at MECA

12. Favorite watercolor artist:
Jean McQuillan.  Find for her art at Greene Art Gallery

13. Favorite Maine Seasonal Gallery:
The Barn Gallery . Best variety of cultural events, shows, and the best gallery director!

14. Best year round gallery:
Dowling Walsh Gallery

15. Podcasts I listen to:
Artists Helping Artists
Modern Art Notes
New Yorker Fiction
Splendid Table
Nation Gallery of Art

find them at the ITunes store

16. Best Books on Creativity
"The War Of Art" Stephen Pressfield
"All Prima-All I Know About Art" Richard Schmid
"The Creative Habit" Twyla Tharp

17. Favorite thing to do while working on a painting:
Listen to music and dance

18. Favorite Art Blog:
Painting Perceptions

19. Best free marketing source:
Facebook

20. Best Daily Painting Site:
Daily Paintworks



Comments

Popular Posts