A Sense of Wonder

What we need is more sense of the wonder of life, and less of the business of making a picture, said Robert Henri.


On Finding Happiness in the Studio this Winter:

  Often, there is a big shift to the studio to concentrate on larger work, studies, new ideas and figurative work for me when the long winter hits with a wallop here in Maine. I work outside on site in the warmer months, which is an athletic, intense, wandering lifestyle of the traveling artist and there is an abrupt switch to a more contemplative approach in the cold months. I can often stall and get blocked when the switch comes. Every year use a set of strategies to get into a good flow for the interior work, and here is what I am doing (so far) this year-

January Sunrise 6" x 6" oil on board
  This little painting above was done from my studio window as the sun came up and cast dramatic streaks across the icy snow. It was 8 degrees that morning at 6:30am. I keep up my landscape practice by staying inside or in my car and just looking out the window.


January 5
Mike's Fishbowl

  Working in a series form still life set ups is a new twist for me. I am making minor changes and repeating the same idea to see what happens. I am also playing with color and paint application ideas at the same time. Just to keep myself over stimulated.


Crystal study


  And this is a great time to do figurative work. This study is not quite done. I am using a lot of turps in some areas to thin the paint- new technique to keep it fun.

  I like to work. Whatever I can think up to do to clear my mind and let myself just work is worth it to me. Eventually as the winter moves along, I won't need any tricks to get me to the studio, I will be involved and having as much fun and fulfillment as I get in my summer travels. 

  Happy New Year, Everyone.

I have a another, new blog that is essentially just paintings, if you are interested in checking it out, you can find it here.


Comments

Popular Posts