Gotta Getta Goal

Simply Observed
Arriving at one goal is the starting point to another. (Fyodor Dostoevski)
  Last October my name came up for a showcase, which is a side by side solo show with another artist, in my case my friend Elizabeth Kelley. I took the challenge and had about a year to put together a body of work for this show. So there was my goal- I needed about 20-25 paintings in addition to the usual count for my other gallery commitments.

  I gained so much more than 20 paintings in the process of meeting this goal, and I learned that just having a requirement to pull together a body of work by a deadline was really great for me.  Because I'm in Maine, and I wanted to get a good number of these paintings done in the winter, a more robust studio practice was a necessity. That led me to working from memory and small studies more than ever before-that's a skill as it turns out and can be learned. Who knew? 

"June Fog" • 32"  x  40"

  Working larger in order to make the show flow well was the impetus for some paintings that are big for me-32" by 40" is the biggest.  A more usual size has been about 12" x 14".  So a larger size seems pretty comfortable and allows for more surface experimentation and different types of marks, as well as just taking more time. That longer time requirement brought up more more chances to change my mind and the painting, as one can only do in oil paints. A plein air work is a intuitive and rapid response to a subject, atmosphere, or mood; a studio piece is a sustained contemplation.

"Autumn Beach"  12" x 16"
  I do have a number of plein air works in the show and there is a continuation of an long standing series of paintings about the things that I see wandering around Maine in my own backyard or along the coast, or in the mountains. These are about capturing the moment and the idea of personal perception and interpretation. 







  This show is also about friendship. "Simply Looking" hangs side by side with Elizabeth Kelley's solo show "Considering the Familiar".  It was just kismet that allowed us to show together at the Barn Gallery this year. We have painted together all over the beautiful areas of New England and have been in galleries concurrently as well. Her knowledgeable eye and clarity of speech have been a valued resource for me over the years, and the two shows will have harmony and contrast both. Please join us for the opening if you are in the area!

  Preview my show "Simply Observed" online here.

 Red's Eats was one of several subjects on a marathon painting/looking day with the two of us earlier this year-they will be in the show as well as a couple of small selfies!


Red's Eats 10" x 10" Janet Ledoux


Red's Eats 8" x 10" Elizabeth Kelley




Barn Gallery Exhibition August 2- September 6
Opening Event Sat. August 16th
Artist Talk with Janet Ledoux and Elizabeth Kelley August 14th

Comments

Popular Posts