Make Something New- Change Directions

Without change, something sleeps inside us, and never wakens. 
(Duke Leo Atrides)

"The Catch" 30" x 30" oil on linen

When I brought "The Catch" to the gallery for inclusion on an exhibition, my friend the gallerist said that the painting looked really different that what was expected from me, and then hastened to add that she liked it. I think it is a small departure from the norm for me and I am feeling relieved that I was able to do something a bit different that I wanted to show.

Recently, I have not been sure what it was I want to paint right at this moment. This is an uncomfortable feeling, like walking across a rope bridge over a gorge while it sways back and forth. wondering how long it will take to get to the other side. Falling over the edge is unlikely, but the journey is not comfortable!

Staying open to new directions, and actively looking for change in your work is key to a long and enjoyable career as an artist. I tend to switch media and surfaces often so as not to fall into a routine. Do that and shake up your routine in other ways to keep it interesting. Although it is very tempting, don't stay with what your strengths are or what your clients want only. Give yourself the gift of change.

Taking on a new project can be very tough sledding sometimes. A project I volunteered to do has been riddled with mistakes and wrong steps on my part as well as the inevitable fits and starts of taking over something previously done by someone else. It's a change in my schedule that seemed too frustrating for awhile.  But here is the thing- when you put yourself out there and do something new, it might not go well. That is just part of the process and if you can, you work through it and see where it lands you on the other side. Better to try something than to keep on with the same comfortable process all the time. Assess the results and move on if you must, but the learning from even a frustrating project is worthwhile.

So do something new. It's OK.



Comments

  1. Janet!
    Firstly, I am looking forward to seeing this painting 'live' at the Barn Gallery. The image grabbed me from first glance. I am drawn into the close cropped view, the light and how the color shapes shift with subtle distinction. It is a good sized piece for intimate subject matter--am I catching on to you telling the viewer a 'fish tale'? Elizabeth Kelley Erickson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elizabeth! I appreciate your thoughts and kind comments. It might indeed be a bit of a fish tale, but that's what we painters do, isn't it? Convince the viewer to see what we see or think...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts