5 Best Spots to Paint in Coastal Maine

My Personal Favorite Five


It's beautiful summer weather now so it's time for me to paint outside whenever I can do it and the weather permits. I thought I might share my favorite coastal spots with you. They are all great visits for coastal buffs and downright amazing for painters. 

Here they are in order from south to north.


1.Biddeford Pool

Biddeford Beach Sunset  more info


My backyard! It's fitting that B Pool is #1. It has all the best parts of coastal towns south of Portland: wonderful sandy beach, craggy rocky shoreline, small village center, an Audobon reserve for walking and bird watching, marshy areas, a nice outdoor lobster roll joint: and is without the tourist shops, bars, or McMansions. I can set up and paint in a flash.


2. Wicasset/Boothbay area

Wiscasset Cottage more info


Wiscasset labels itself the prettiest village in Maine. Nuff said. 









3. Monhegan Island

Amazing island light. check
3/4 of the island is a spectacular nature preserve. check
small village out of another time. check
no cars. check
towering cliffs. weatherbeaten trees. crashing waves. check. check. check.
working lobstering community. check.
Every day on Monhegan is a gift.

Cliff 3 Monhegan • available at the Landing Gallery

4.Vinalhaven Island

Lane's Island 2 • available here

This island is much bigger with more year round residents, more to explore and much easier to get around than Monhegan. There are granite quarries, old and new; an extensive preserve system with many fine views everywhere you look. More diversity then other smaller islands. A nice town center ("downstreet"). If you drive around be sure to wave as you pass each car every time-two fingers will do. I stay with my good friend on in an old saltwater farmhouse that is a slice of heaven on earth- thank you Hara.









5. Stonington, Deer Isle

White Rock • private collection

You can drive across two bridges to get to Deer Isle, no ferry ride required. But it is remote enough to still have the island sense of separateness that makes you slow down and look around. Beautiful ocean vistas, scattered islands in the thoroughfare and famous for boating. Classic down east granite and spruce surround working waterfronts. So much to paint I never get tired of it. Stonington village is built layered on a steep ledge so the village views are really distinctive. The harbor is stacked with boats. Artists have painted there for many, many years. There are so many artists around that you might have to wait in line for a spot to set up!

Those are my top 5 coastal locales of the moment. I'll give you my top 5 inland places in a later post.
What are you favorite places in Maine?  Join the conversation online here.

Comments

Popular Posts